Monday, September 20, 2010

Chicken Cheese Enchiladas


This is a "makeover" recipe I found from Healthy Eating magazine. Nutrition information is included at the end. (Original recipe was a scary 1000 calories per serving! - crazy)

It was a HUGE hit with my family, and very easy to prepare, so I thought I'd share.

6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.

Ingredients
• 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream (used about 1 cup)
• 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
• 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies (used frozen jalapeƱo)
• 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
• 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (used 2 breasts)
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend, divided
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
• 12 fat-free flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced

Directions
• In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, soup, chilies and olives.
• Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Add the chicken, 1/2 cup Monterey
• Jack cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese to remaining soup mixture.

• Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla;
• roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking
• dish coated with cooking spray. Top with reserved soup mixture.

• Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining
• cheeses; top with onions. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese
• is melted. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 2 enchiladas equals 508 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 1,164 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 46 g protein.

Notes from me: I've done this twice now. Here are my personal preferences:
- 12 oz sour cream is way too much. I used 8 oz and still had some soup/sour cream mix leftover when I filled/topped 17 tortillas. Course my tortillas were kind of small.
- 2 full cups of cheese is also a bit much. I used one cup in the soup/sour cream mix as called for. Then I just eyeballed the top but used less than a cup. The top cheese is really good if it gets all crispy and toasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment