Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chicken and Corn Chili - slow cooker



Made this for first time...it was sooo good; especially on a cold night.

I didn't have all ingredients on hand so I made changes. I'll include original recipe first, then note the changes I made at the end.


Ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1 16 oz jar salsa

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp chili powder

salt & black pepper to taste

1-11oz can Mexican-style corn

1-15 oz can pinto beans


Directions:

1 - Place chicken and salsa in slow cooker. Add spices. Cook 6-8 hours on low setting.

2 - About 3-4 hours before serving, shred chicken with 2 forks and add corn and pinto beans.

3 - Simmer until ready to serve.

4 - Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, chives, whatever you like


Notes:

- I put chicken in while still frozen

- used 3 large breasts, was more than enough meat

- cooked from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. - chicken got a little dry.

- substituted 12oz enchilada sauce + 1/2 cup salsa for salsa (was amost out of salsa); added some chopped fresh tomatoes.

- added fresh jalapeno peppers

- added pinto and black beans

- shredded chicken and added corn and beans about an hour before serving.


This turned out so good. All 6 of my kids ate it, even the picky ones.

The chili turns out really thick. I gave my children the option of eating it as chili or rolling it in a flour tortilla. Very versatile recipe - sub veg or beans of choice. Add spices or fresh herbs.

Personally, I liked rolling it in a tortilla and topping with a bit of cheese and fresh cilantro. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment