Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is healthy and has an excellent flavor. The whole family liked it since they could customize it with toppings they liked. (Healthy depending on which/how much toppings you use.)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
1 Tsp Salt
1 Green Bell Pepper or Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 32 oz Box Chicken Broth
1 Bay Leaf
1 1/2 Cups Frozen Corn Kernels
1 15 oz Can Tomato, diced (used fire roasted tomatoes)
1 Lb Chicken Breast, boneless and skinless
Juice of 1 Lime
Crushed Tortilla Chips
Accompaniments: Shredded Monterey Jack, Mexican Cheese Blend, Avocado, Sour Cream, Cilantro, Green Onion, diced
1. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onions and salt for 3 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, garlic clove and cumin and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth and remaining ingredients (except for the lime juice & tortilla chips). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
4. After 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts) remove the chicken from the pot and shred, using a fork. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot with the lime juice and simmer for another 3-4 minutes or until chicken is heated though.
5. Remove bay leaf, pour soup into bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips for everyone to stir in on their own. Serve with desired toppings on the side.
- added black beans when returned shredded chicken to pot
- made pico de gallo, excellent topping
- some kids preferred adding tortilla chips a bit at a time to keep them crunchy
- I threw an extra chicken breast in to boil. Then shredded. Now I have delicious seasoned chicken ready to go for a lunch or quesadillas.